Here’s a list of potential resources, sites, plugins, tutorials and forums that I visit regularly.
- BFXR – 8/16 bit music generator. Next-gen AS3SFX.
- Bosca Ceoil – One of the simplest open source, music makers. (Needs Adobe Air)
- AS3SFX – 8/16 bit music generator. A must for game sound effects.
- Lost Garden – Lot of articles on game design, prototyping and an all-round approach to game creation by Daniel Cook.
- Designer’s Notebook – Insightful articles on game design and related by Ernest Adam.
- Ambrosine’s Game Creation – An exhaustive list of resources by Greg Ryan.
- Sloperama’s Game Design Zone – Tom Sloper’s advice to folks interested in making a career out of the Gaming Industry.
- Indie Resources – Exhaustive list for an indie game developer by Simon Kaizen (PixelProspector).
- Los Angeles Video Game Companies
- gamedevclassifieds – Subreddit Game Developer Classifieds
- OpenGameArt.org – Open source game art resources
- inklewriter – Interactive story maker
- Color Scheme Designer – Must use color pallet generator.
- 960 Grid System – Fundamental first step for making websites.
- Smashing Magazine – Insightful web design and type articles.
- Pixel Art Tutorials – By GAS13 (Alex Garkushin), a must for pixel artists.
- Wirify – Reverse-engineer sites to their bare layouts, with the power of magic.
- ColourLovers – Community-based site for colors, lovers palettes and patterns.
- Drawn.ca – Blog that features various artists/animators.
- Principles of Beautiful Typography – By Jason Beaird
- 10 common typography mistakes – By Brian Hoff
- Exhaustive list of art books
- Fineart.sk – Anatomy references for artists
- CharacterDesigns.com – Large reference library of images
- Pictaculous – Color pallet generator from images
- Robots – Concepts
- Flash Pixel Tool V2 – By Patrick Mineault. The “only” Flash Pixel Tool plugin.
- Frame Edit, Search and Replace and Toggle Guide – Give Dave Wolfe all your money for making Flash Plugins.
- Library: Find and Replace – By Christoph Landers at Freelanders.de
- Zoë – Export SWF to sprite sheets by the good folks at gskinner.com
- Cold Hard Flash – One-stop shop for all Flash animators.
- Newgrounds – One-stop butcher shop for Flash animators in the making.
- Animation World Network – Long-standing forum for all mediums of animation.
- Reddit/r/Gaming – Game news, before it happens.
- Wireframes Magazine – Site featuring wireframe and production-related web/apps and such.
- Usability.gov – Best practices.
- useit.com – Usability for teenagers by Jakob Nielsen.
- Trello – Excellent task management system.